Frittatas are the best thing ever. I love them and make one pretty much every morning for breakfast. These yummy little mushroom and goat’s cheese frittata cups are dairy free but jam-packed with goodness.
What is a frittata?
Frittata is an egg-based Italian dish similar to an omelette or crustless quiche or scrambled eggs, enriched with additional ingredients such as meats, cheeses or vegetables. The word frittata is Italian and roughly translates to “fried.” Wikipedia
The best thing about a frittata is that there are no rules. You can add literally anything you want to!!
- 12 XL free-range eggs
- 100 g softs goat’s cheese / chevin
- 250 g portabellini mushrooms sliced
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 100 g kale roughly chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Lightly spray a 12 cup capacity cupcake tin with non stick olive oil spray.
- In a large frying pan heat a drizzle of olive oil.
- Fry the onion until soft.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until golden brown.
- Add the kale and cook until slightly wilted.
- Season everything well.
- Remove from the pan and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs and season well with salt and pepper.
- Divide mushroom mixture between the cupcake cups.
- Evenly distribute little nuggets of the goat’s cheese.
- Pour in the whisked eggs.
- Place cupcake tin on a baking tray and bake for 15-20 minutes, until set.
- Let cool slightly, and serve or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a quick snack or easy lunchbox meal.