Is there anything better than a toasted sandwich? Nope, nope there is not. There is definitely nothing better than a sandwich loaded with cheese. While my kids aren’t huge fans of sandwiches, they do love a toasted cheese made in the frying pan! Add some mushrooms and you have the yummiest mushroom melt ever.
This simple meal is perfect anytime of the day! It is a delicious lunch or a quick dinner when you need something delicious but easy after a long day.
- 4 large slices your favourite bread sourdough and rye work well
- Softened butter for spreading
- 6 slices mozzarella cheese at room temperature
- 6 slices sharp cheddar cheese at room temperature
- 2 large portabello mushrooms sliced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme minced
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to a saute pan on medium high heat. Cook the portabellos with the fresh thyme and chilli flakes until golden brown. Season and set aside.
- Spread one side of two pieces of bread with a little softened butter.
- Flip over and place a layer of cheddar on each sandwich. Top with mushrooms. Season. And the top with the mozzarella.
- Butter the remaining two pieces of bread and complete the sandwiches.
- Place the sandwiches on a cold, large non stick frying pan off the heat. (Use 2 if you do not have 1 large enough as the sandwiches must sit flush against the pan. )
- Place on very low heat and allow the bread to get golden brown while the cheese slowly melts.
- Flip once.
- When the bread is a deep golden brown and the cheeses are fully melted remove from the pan.
- Transfer to a board, slice and eat immediately!
If you do make this, let me know how it came out.