Winter is almost here and I can not wait!!! I am all about the comfort food that comes with winter – stews, soups and other delicious slow cooked meals. Unfortunately my family are not so keen on them but I do keep tempting them with delicious meals.
I love goulash! I don’t make it often enough but every time I make it I wonder why I don’t make it more. You could pop this into the slow cooker in the morning on low and come home to a delicious meal with a thick gravy that will make everything better!!!
Meals like this are great to get veggies into kids, they cook away or you can cut them up small and it’s just too much effort to pick them out or moan about them.
Beef & Mushroom Goulash with Rice & Peas
- 500 g stewing beef
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 red peppers. cut into 4cm squares
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 500 g baby button mushrooms, halved
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 410 g tin crushed tomatoes
- 250 ml mushroom stock
- 80 ml fresh cream
- 2 Tbsp parsley, roughly chopped
- Fluffy white rice, to serve
- Blanched peas, to serve
- Preheat oven to 160˚C.
- Cut the stewing beef into large pieces and toss with flour.
- In a large pot sear the beef with a drizzle of olive oil and set aside.
- In the same pan add a fresh drizzle of olive oil if necessary and sweat the onion.
- Once the onion is soft add the red peppers and garlic.
- Allow to cook until the peppers have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Finally add the paprika, crushed tomatoes and stock.
- Stir well and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Put the lid on the pot and place in the oven for 1.5 hours or until the beef is tender.
- Remove from the oven and add the mushrooms.
- Place on a low burner and reduce until the goulash thickens.
- Finish the goulash with the cream and parsley.
- Serve over rice alongside freshly blanched peas.