January is also Veganuary. I took part last month but really struggled to go completely vegan for the month. So eventually I just settled for meat-free rather than vegan. I managed to stay largely meat free for most of the year but after the holidays I needed to reset, so focusing on cutting out meat completely for January with meals like this chickpea and avocado salad
Chickpeas are one of my favourite quick and easy meat free meals. You can simply heat and eat and add them to just about anything, like this delicious chickpea and avocado salad. Or you can whip up this quick and easy hummus.
Some fun facts about chickpeas:
- Chickpeas are actually really awesome little legumes. They are a natural insecticide and fungicide. They naturally break the disease cycle in wheat and barley crops.
- They are a great source of both soluble and dietary fibre. Both of these are essential to maintaining a healthy digestive system.
- Chickpeas have been used as an alternative to coffee beans. They are still used by some people as a caffeine-free alternative.
- Chickpeas contain a high concentrate of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals including folate, magnesium, vitamin b6, vitamin c, iron, potassium, calcium, phosphorus and zinc and are also a great source of protein.
This is such a delicious summer salad and because it is so quick you can easily make it for lunch during the day. Mix all the salad ingredients together in a jar, take the dressing along separately and you have lunch in a jar ready to go.
If you are vegan, swap out the yoghurt for a vegan one of your choice.
Chickpea and Avocado Salad
- 1 Avocado pitted and chopped
- 125 ml Plain yoghurt
- 5 ml Dijon Mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can Rhodes Quality Chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 Avocado pitted, and chopped
- 2 Spring onions chopped
- ½ Cucumber chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and black pepper
- 65 ml Bean sprouts
- 1 ml Chilli flakes
- Place the avocado, yoghurt, mustard and seasoning in a blender.
- Process to puree and thin with a little water if necessary.
- In a bowl, combine the Rhodes Quality Chickpeas, avocado, spring onions, cucumber and lemon juice.
- Pour over the avocado dressing and toss to mix.
- Season to taste.
- Sprinkle with the bean sprouts and chilli flakes and swerve.
Do you eat chickpeas? What is your favourite thing to make with them?