Since starting to homeschool it sometimes feels like my kids eat all day long!
Finding quick, healthy meals has been challenging. I just think I have found something the like and then they change their mind.
Sausage rolls, however are always a win! And they actually aren’t that hard to make. If you chopped the mushrooms for these up small, your kids won’t even know.
These are also pretty cool to freeze and haul out for a play date or for party snacks.
Mushroom & Pork Mince Sausage Rolls
- 400 g portabellini mushrooms
- 400 g pork mince
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tsp fennel seeds, lightly toasted
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 egg, for egg wash
- 3 sheets ready rolled puff pastry, cut in half
- Preheat oven 200°C.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Using a food processor, pulse the mushrooms until they are very finely chopped.
- In a large saucepan heat a drizzle of olive oil and add the mushrooms.
- Sauté until the mushrooms give off all their water and begin to brown.
- Remove from the heat and set aside in a bowl.
- Heat a fresh drizzle of olive oil in the pan.
- Sauté onion until soft and then add the garlic. Cook until fragrant.
- Transfer to the bowl of cooked mushrooms and allow to cool.
- Combine the cooled mushroom and onion mix with one egg, breadcrumbs, parsley and fennel seeds. Season with salt and pepper and mix until well combined.
- Working with one sheet of pastry at a time, spoon some filling along one long edge.
- Brush the opposite edge of a pastry with the egg wash.
- Roll up to form a sausage. Press pastry together to secure.
- Repeat with remaining mixture and pastry.
- Brush the top of each roll with egg.
- Cut each roll into ± 5cm long segments.
- Place onto lined baking tray pastry seam side down.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until pastry is golden and filling is cooked through.
- Serve with tomato sauce for dipping.
What are some of your kids favourite snacks?