Valentine’s Day is around the corner and while going out is awesome, sometimes staying in and enjoying a home-cooked meal is as special. Plums are the best aren’t they? Such sweet little purple fruits that make this Plum and Almond Tart perfect for a Valentine’s Day dinner.
Plum and Almond Tart
For the plums
- 6 ripe plums, halved
- 2 TBSP castor sugar
- ½ cup water
For the tart
- ½ cup castor sugar
- 200 g butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup sel-raising flour
- 1½ cups ground almonds
For the vanilla yoghurt (optional)
- 500 g yoghurt
- 2 TBSP icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- Preheat the over to 180°C
- Place the plums, cut side up, into a roasting dish, then sprinkle with sugar and water.
- Place into the oven and roast for 20 minutes until the plums are tender.
- Spray a 24cm loose bottom fluted tart tin.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, a little at a time then mix in the flour.
- Mix together the flour and almonds, then fold into the wet ingredients.
- Bake tart for 45 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven. Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then remove tart from the tin and leave to cool completely.
- Mix together the yoghurt, icing sugar and vanilla then serve with the tart, dusted with icing sugar.