Making homemade tomato sauce is one of those things I love to make purely because it brings me joy. The smell of that sauce cooking in the slow cooker is one of the best smells in the world.
I try really hard to avoid buying too many processed foods that have a million different ingredients in. Making sauces is still something I am playing around with but this tomato peri peri sauce will add a kick to just about anything you make. It makes for a great dipping sauce or you can add a little bit to your bolognaise or stew. It would also make a great marinade for chops or kebabs.
You could even double this recipe up and freeze what you don’t need. I freeze my sauces in silicone cupcake trays, it makes it easy to pop out when I need it.
Tomato Peri Peri Sauce
- 1 can Rhodes Quality Tomatoes Whole Peeled
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 200 g bird’s eye chillies, stems removed
- 1 red peppers, seeded and chopped
- 30 ml olive oil
- 45 ml fresh lemon juice
- 65 ml red wine vinegar
- 30 ml sugar
- 15 ml paprika
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Place the Rhodes Quality Tomatoes Whole Peeled into a food processor and add all of the ingredients excluding the salt.
- Pulse until all the ingredients are finely chopped.
- Transfer the peri peri sauce to a saucepan and simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until the sauce is slightly thickened.
- Season to taste.
- Serve at room temperature as a condiment to braaied meats
- Store any leftover sauce in a sealed clean glass container in the refrigerator.