I started the year off with the Veganuary challenge and while I didn’t manage to go completely vegan I have been largely meat-free since January. I have been trying out a whole lot of new meat-free recipes and we recently made our very first risotto and it was absolutely delicious.
I love the simplicity of this risotto. It uses a few simple but flavoursome ingredients. Perfect for those nights you just don’t feel like cooking.
- 45 ml Tbsp olive oil
- 15 ml Tbsp butter
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 leek sliced
- 1 large garlic clove crushed
- 250 g Arborio rice
- 1 can Rhodes Quality Whole Peeled Tomatoes
- 15 ml Rhodes Quality Tomato Paste Sachet
- 1 lt 4 cups chicken stock, hot
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Heat the olive oil and the butter in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Add the onion and the leek and fry until softened.
- Add the garlic and fry for a few minutes more.
- Add the rice and toss well.
- Turn the heat down to medium and add the Rhodes Quality Whole Peeled Tomatoes, the Rhodes Quality Tomato Paste Sachet and 125 ml (½ cup) of the stock.
- Stir gently until the measure of liquid added is absorbed by the rice and then add another 125 ml (½ cup) of stock.
- Continue cooking, adding stock when necessary until the rice is tender.
- Remove from the heat.
- Season to taste and serve immediately topped with grated parmesan cheese and fresh basil.