“Self-care is how you take your power back.”
– Lalah Delia
We all know that self-care is important. We all know that we need to recharge. Our lives are just too stressful, busy and pressure-filled to not make time for ourselves.
Self-care is not taking time out in the toilet while your kids scream, it is not going to the grocery store on your own and it is not those few quiet moments you get after your kids have gone to sleep. Those are stolen moments during the day but it is not self-care.
Self-care is when you do something just for you, on your own or with a friend, if that is what feeds your soul.
For me self-care is a pedicure or a massage. It is also Friday nights when the younger kids are with David’s mom and I don’t have to do anything.
It also date night with David or a coffee date with a friend.
Self-care for me is something that I do without my children, not because I don’t love them but because I need a chance to decompress from the every day chaos of life and recharge.
It is different for everyone but whatever self-care looks like for you, you need to prioritize it. It needs to be something that you make time for regularly.
But why? I hear you ask.
It is pretty simple, YOU are important and YOU need prioritize yourself. We have managed to create a society that has glorified being busy, doing it all and being everything. Women, specifically moms, feel the pressure to do it all and do it right even more. This is not sustainable without taking care of yourself.
We spend so much energy making sure our families are ok. We are planning pick ups, remembering dates, organising costumes, meal planning, budgeting and so much more constantly. While we may not be physically busy all day, the emotional energy we spend each day is exhausting.
It is not possible to keep going without recharging every now and then.
Many of us know that we need to do this but we will find any excuse we can not to make the time. We tell ourselves there is not time or that we are actually fine and don’t need it.
Moms, we ALL NEED IT!!!
Money is tight and a very real issue for many of us but self-care can be free.
- Go for a walk. Not a 5 min walk, a proper 30-40 minute walk around your neighbourhood or a local park.
- Ask a friend or family to watch your kids for a bit and binge watch Netflix for a couple of hours.
- Meeting a friend for coffee isn’t too expensive.
- If you have a hobby, spend some time doing that. Colouring in can be incredibly calming. I enjoy baking and simple things like cakes aren’t expensive.
- Work out. I know a lot of you run and that is a form of self-care, you are getting out of your every day life and doing something just for you. Youtube has videos available for just about every type of exercise that you can do from the comfort of your own home.
This time of year is always busy with kids in school so finding time is a struggle, I know that all too well. Ideally, self-care, shouldn’t be something you rush or do while you are watching the clock but if you have limited time, you can still priortize yourself.
- Get up 30 minutes earlier than your kids and enjoy a quiet cup of tea/coffee and just be still.
- Sorbet have an express mani and pedi that is done in 30 minutes.
- Don’t eat your lunch at your desk, get up and get out. Go and sit in the garden or on the couch and enjoy your lunch.
I feel so much more in control of life after I have take a time out and done something just for me. It really isn’t an option moms, set some time in your diary today to take care of yourself.
This post forms part of my 31 days to achieve work life balance as a work from home mom.